It is certain that there are many ambitious gamers who want to build their own games and set this as their route on their career paths. The most important question to begin with is: How and where to begin? The key point to be successful in game development is to pick the right game engine for the right game. As technology continues to get improved more and more each day, there are lots of game engines out there that you might want to consider and do some research before starting to develop a game.
The Ultimate Game Engine Battle Between Unity and Unreal Engine
Most of you know that there has been a huge game engine battle between Unity and Unreal Engine. Some people say that Unity is the perfect choice for the beginners. On the other hand, some people say that Unreal Engine can make the best quality graphics. Not saying that you should ignore those people but from our point of view, YOU should be the one to decide what and how you want to create and pick the game engine of your choice. You are the one to pick the winner of this ultimate battle.
What is Unity?
Unity Technologies released Unity game engine for the first time in 2005. It is used to develop 2D or 3D games for many platforms like computers, smartphones, consoles, VR/AR systems and smart televisions. If you are interested in game developing or you want to educate yourself deeply in gaming industry, you might want to check out Unity’s free courses on its own website.
- More stable to run on your computer as it doesn’t require a much powerful PC
- If the project is small or medium size and you plan to create something for mobile devices, Unity is the best option for you
- Perfect option to make cross-platform projects
- If you have already been experienced in C#, then Unity will be much more familiar to you
- Works in offline mode
- More suitable for beginners as its UI is basic and understandable
- Overall good experience for game developers
- Can’t start from a template, you need to start creating out of scratch
- Not very suitable for graphic designers
- Need at least $1500 – $3000 investment to upgrade to Mobile Pro licence as vanilla Unity does not bring all of the important features in itself
- Not a good engine to make big-size games
What is Unreal Engine?
Unreal Engine, which is professional game developers’ first choice and favorite, was released in 1998 by Epic Games. Its very first purpose was to develop first-person shooter games but it kept improving itself and today it is used to develop many different games. It is a game engine that offers simplicity to game developers with its blueprint system. To help many game developers out there, it has courses supported by videos for free.
- Easier to make simple games with 0 coding knowledge thanks to its “blueprint” system
- If you have already been experienced in C++, Unreal Engine is your go-to option
- Perfect choice for professional game developers and graphic designers
- Visuals are more promising than any other game engines
- More suitable for big-size games with heavy graphics
- Works in offline mode
- Used not only in game industry but also in film industry
- Requires a very powerful PC to run
- Not suitable for freelancers or one-person team
- Has an okay support community but not as big as Unity
- Can be unstable from time to time and can cause crashes
Time To Pick the Winner of the Game Engine Battle: Conclusion
While trying to pick the right game engine, the most important criteria you should focus on is to decide what kind of game you would like to develop. Both Unity and Unreal Engine have released many successful games in the game industry. Unity, for example, was used to develop such wonderful games like, League of Legends: Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, Genshin Impact, Outer Wilds, Call of Duty: Mobile, Valheim and Among Us. On the other hand, many successful games that were developed by Unreal Engine are Valorant, Fortnite, Dead by Daylight, ARK: Survival Evolved, Sea of Thieves, Life is Strange, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and many others. To sum up briefly, when you want to start to develop a game, it will be better to pick the right game engine according to the needs of your own game.